On December 20th David Muritu, who is branch secretary for Halesowen UCU, was dismissed from his job as Maths Lecturer at Halesowen College. The college failed to follow their own disciplinary procedure or ACAS guidelines fully. The evidence provided did not by their own admission support an accusation of misconduct.
The dismissal was made on the basis of David’s results (which are above national average). David has been rated as a grade 2 (good) lecturer by the college’s own observation system. Three more active UCU maths lecturers face disciplinaries and possible dismissal. No attempt has been made to look into the following actions on the part of college management and the impact these have on student success:
- Refusal to pay for specialist cover (in spite of a huge surplus) for times of long term sickness and paternity leave, and lack of organisation in staffing of cover.
- Teaching in two different classes in two different rooms at the same time.
- Groups being pushed together into one room even though they are supposed to be covering different material.
- Lecturers doing up to 7 cover slots on top of normal teaching, with planning and assessment not allowed for.
- Non-specialist staff regularly covering Maths sessions.
This is an attack on trades unionism, an attack on freedom, and an attack on education. It will have disastrous consequences for students and teachers.
What can you do?
Support David and the other accused lecturers through
- Signing and sharing the petition HERE
- Sending messages of support to the branch at HalesowenUCU_branch_secretary@hotmail.com
- If you would like to be added to a campaign team for the reinstatement of David Muritu and in defence of the other accused lecturers please e-mail the branch secretary at the above address.
- If you would like to contact the College Principal to show your protest at the dismissal and to call for David’s reinstatement you can e-mail him at KBATE@halesowen.ac.uk or write to him at: